Ever since I was a little kid, I had always dreamed of becoming a published author. Perhaps part of it was seeing your name in print, but it also goes back to my core passions. I have always loved to share information. I love to constantly learn and discover new things. So for me, it seemed only natural to want to publish my discoveries to the world in hopes that they can help others in some way.
This month I had the incredible opportunity to create my first published work. I actually can't take all of the credit though. In fact, none of this would have been possible without the help of the awesome people that I work with at Squire & Company in Orem. the Partner over our department and my manager, Kevin Johnson, approached me to help Kevin coauthor the cover story for The Journal Entry, a quarterly publication for the Utah Association of Certified Public Accountants. With Kevin's help, we were able to put together a great article on barriers to adopting new technology in business and how to overcome them.
From this experience I saw a realization of something that I learned in college. As you start your career, find those around you who are moving in the direction that you want to go and then follow them. The people at Squire, particularly my managers are all great people who I look up to and admire. It is because of their mentoring that I am finally beginning to accomplish my childhood dreams.
So now that I have accomplished my goal of becoming a published author, is this the end of my writing career? On the contrary, I hope it is just beginning. It's a different animal working against publication deadlines, but it was a lot of fun. I hope to get additional opportunities to write articles. I am working on another major project as well, but that's under wraps for right now. Stay tuned to hear more as that one nears completion.
No comments:
Post a Comment