Friday, July 12, 2013

The Match

One of the purposes of this blog was to have a more public place to start storing my poetry. I wouldn't consider myself a professional poet by any stretch of the imagination, but it is something I have tinkered with since I was a child. Today I dug up my old poems from High School. I'll admit some were a bit forced and some were just atrocious, but I have sifted through them and selected a few of my favorites.

This is one of my all-time favorites from my younger years. I felt inspired to write it while reflecting in the chapel one Sunday evening as I was waiting for my father to get out of meetings. It is entitled "The Match."


The Match

Life is vast, like a vacant field
As dark and black as night.
The fog and haze restricts your view
Filling your heart with fright. 
You continue to wander, hopelessly lost,
All alone and afraid.
Voices are heard, but no man is seen
As you turn to the calls that are made.
Then off in the distance
Something pierces the night, 
A small and humble glow.
Just seeing this light amid the black 
Warms your very soul. 
As you draw nearer, you can see
The source of this meager light.
A man stands before you, half hidden in fog
Alone on this empty night. 
He holds out his hand to reveal a match, 
Its flicker so gentle and dim.
You're surprised that such a little light 
Could have guided you straight to him.
He smiles at you with a smile of love.
"I knew you would come," he said.
 Extending his hand, he gives you a match
With its unlit top of red.
Placing his match aside of yours 
The man shares his light with you. 
Now holding your match up with his
That match has the strength of two.
People come from far and near
Guided by the glow.
Each is given a match to hold
And the light begins to grow.
Now there are many standing around 
Making it bright as day
And out of the night shines the beautiful light
Guiding others on their way.

Christ stands amid life's troubles and strife
Holding his little light.
That flickering flame is the gospel light
Guiding us all to the right.
He welcomes us to take his light
And to the world show
That by guiding others we may see 
His gospel light will grow.

- Tory Norman
January 14, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin